What is ADHD?
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with school, work, or social functioning, or development.
How do I know if I or my child have ADHD?
ADHD is a clinical diagnosis made by clinician after careful assessment. As mentioned, ADHD is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity. Below is a list of possible symptoms.
- Often does not pay attention to details or makes careless mistakes with, for example, homework
- Often has difficulty keeping attention to what needs to be done
- Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Often does not follow through when given directions and fails to finish activities (not due to refusal or failure to understand)
- Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
- Often avoids, dislikes, or does not want to start tasks that require ongoing mental effort
- Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (toys, assignments, pencils or books)
- Is often easily distracted by noises or other stimuli
- Is often forgetful in daily activities
- Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
- Often leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
- Often feels restless, or runs about or climbs when remaining seated is expected
- Often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
- Is often “on the go” or acts as if “driven by a motor”
- Often talks excessively
- Often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
- Often has difficulty waiting his or her turn
- Often interrupts or intrudes on others’ conversations and/or activities
What is the treatment for ADHD?
Depending on the situation, psychotherapy, parent behavioral training, and medication are variable treatment options for ADHD.
What are the next steps?
Dr. Messina provides psychological evaluation and treatment for ADHD in adults, adolescents, and children in Southlake and surrounding areas. If you or your child are experiencing symptoms of ADHD, contact me today to schedule an appointment.